The Times of India is reporting that the much vaunted AppleIpad2 has been released lacking 7 major, anticipated items.
If one looks at the complete experience and as a package, iPad 2 is likely to remain unchallenged for a while as the best tablet computing device, but it is far from perfect.1. It was widely speculated that iPad 2 may sport a bigger screen size than iPad. However, the second-generation iPad retains its predecessor’s screen size with 9.7-inch LED-backlit display. Also, it was widely believed that iPad 2 will get a high-resolution Retina Display, similar to the one in iPhone 4. However, Apple disappointed many on this too.
2. The new iPad comes sans SD card slot and USB port. Expectations were high that Apple may add an SD slot to the device and give users choice to pad up storage.
3. Another missing feature in the new iPad is NFC support. NFC is a technology that allows mobile users to use their devices as a digital wallet. The technology enables users to pay for retail goods or services such as transit rides by waving their handsets across a reader.
4. Intel recently announced the availability of Thunderbolt technology, a new high-speed PC connection technology that brings together high-speed data transfer and high-definition (HD) display on to a single cable. Running at 10Gbps, Thunderbolt technology can transfer a full-length HD movie in less than 30 seconds.
5. It is still unclear whether Apple has made RAM upgrade to its second-generation iPad. While few analysts claim that the company has boosted its RAM to 512MB, however, Apple website and press release doesn’t mention it.
6. However, Apple website does not mention how many megapixels iPad 2 cameras have. According to Web reports, rear-facing camera on the iPad 2 is mere 1 megapixel in comparison to Motorola Xoom’s 5 megapixels. Even RIM’s BlackBerry PlayBook sports a 5 megapixel camera with 1080p HD video recording capacity. Also, iPad 2′s front-facing camera is just VGA quality.
7. The iPad 2 also misses out the super-fast 4G wireless connectivity. This despite the fact that Motorola is soon planning to roll its Xoom tablet fully equipped with 4G LTE support. Apple left this out even though Verizon is 4G LTE ready. For now, iPad 2 will rely on AT&T’s and Verizon’s 3G cellular network.